What is a facelift?
Facelift or rhytidectomy is a cosmetic surgery that restores a more youthful look. It is considered the gold standard of anti-aging surgery because:
- Several aging signs are addressed in a single surgery
- Dramatic, long-lasting results are achieved
During a facelift, face and neck muscles are tightened and excess skin is removed for a smooth and lifted appearance. Neck contour and profile are enhanced and a more defined jawline is created. Time is turned back—patients look five to ten years younger and the aging rate is slowed down. Individual needs are suited, individual goals are reached, and dreams become a reality after a customized facelift procedure with top Miami, FL facelift surgeon, Dr. Marcelo Ghersi.
Customized Facelift Procedures
Modern plastic surgery is focused on customized procedures. Each facelift is tailored to the unique needs of the individual. Patients have more surgery options than ever and work with their surgeon to design a plan that helps them reach all of their goals. One of three facelift surgery options is chosen:
- A traditional facelift rejuvenates the midface, lower face, and neck.
- A mid- facelift rejuvenates the area around cheekbones and jaw.
- A mini facelift restores jawline definition.
Oftentimes, reaching the patient’s goals means combining a facelift with other procedures that address other skin and tissue issues.Popular add-on cosmetic procedures include:
- Blepharoplasty (eyelid lift)
- Forehead Lift (brow lift)
- Fat injections for volume loss
- Neck Lift
- Skin resurfacing for sun damaged, weathered skin
Some add-on procedures can be done at the same time as facelift surgery, while others might need to wait until the patient has recovered.
* Each patient is unique and individual results may vary.
Board-Certified and Fellowship-Trained Facelift Surgeon in Miami
If you are interested in a customized facelift, we encourage you to schedule an initial consultation with Board-Certified and Fellowship-Trained facelift surgeon Dr. Marcelo Ghersi. Dr. Ghersi believes communication between patient and surgeon is key for you to receive optimal results. That communication starts at your initial consultation, which is divided into three parts:
- A thorough medical history evaluation. You may be asked questions about your health history, medications, drug allergies, and previous surgeries. This is done to ensure surgery safety and optimize results.
- A complete physical examination. Your face and neck are examined and measured, skin quantity and quality are assessed, and pictures are taken for comparative purposes.
- A detail-oriented discussion. Your facelift goals and expectations are discussed. All of the numerous options for your surgery and techniques that address your specific concerns are gone over. Add-on procedures are recommended if they are appropriate for your situation.
You are invited to ask Dr. Ghersi any questions you may have. Previous surgery patients have found this is a great opportunity to get to know Dr. Ghersi and his staff and obtain all of the important information needed to make a treatment decision. If you decide to have surgery, it is scheduled for a convenient time for you. If you need more time to make a treatment decision, you can schedule your surgery when you are ready.
Customized facelift costs can vary. Your procedure costs and all financing options are thoroughly explained during your initial consultation. More important than your procedure costs are your comfort with your surgeon and your confidence that your desired results will be delivered. It is also equally important to have peace of mind that your surgeon and your surgical facility have taken every possible step to ensure you receive the highest standard of care. Surgeon board-certification, fellowship-training, and facility accreditation are the patient care gold standards.
Reasons for a Facelift
A desire to improve moderate to severe sagging skin and wrinkling in the mid and lower face/neck is the most common reason men and women have a facelift. Although there are many effective minimally-invasive anti-aging cosmetic procedures available, they typically address skin quality rather than skin quantity and cannot come close to achieving the dramatic and long-lasting rejuvenation a facelift provides. Some of the specific anti-aging benefits facelift patients love are:
- Tighter, smoother skin with few wrinkles
- A rested, energized, and youthful appearance
- Lifted facial tissues with improved contour
While the procedure does not stop aging altogether, it slows the process down and keeps patients youthful and energized. Most patients look at least several years to a decade or more younger after recovery. Because of Dr. Ghersi’s education, experience, and artistry, results are natural and people are not able to notice that surgery was performed.
I had heard about him on TV Despierta America, and I have a relative that got surgery with him a year ago. Dr Ghersi, Thank you so much for being such a caring Dr. I look 8 to 10 years younger after the surgery, my facelift has been a success, my husband and kids are very happy with the new me. Thank you for everything and especially for being there to answer all kinds of questions before and after the surgery.
When to Schedule an Initial Facelift Consultation
Everyone ages at a different rate. Factors like sun exposure, habits, and genetics all play a role in how quickly a person’s skin and tissue begins to age. Rather than recommending an initial facelift consultation at a certain age, Dr. Ghersi recommends a consultation if you:
- look older than you feel
- think you look older than you are
- feel self-conscious about facial sagging skin and wrinkling
Dr. Ghersi wants you to look on the outside the way you feel on the inside—youthful, refreshed, and beautiful. He is dedicated to creating natural-looking and custom results just for you. Your initial consultation will be at:
Surgery Institute Miami
550 Biltmore Way, Suite 120
The institute is easily accessible from all of Miami-Dade County and only a ten-minute drive from Miami International Airport. Please request a consultation online or call 305.446.7700 to schedule an initial facelift consultation when you are ready. If you are from out of town, one of our patient representatives will be happy to help you with travel arrangements or schedule a video conferencing appointment.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
The Plastic Surgery Institute (PSI) Miami is deeply committed to your health, your safety, and of course, your results. Unlike other plastic surgery groups, PSI Miami is entirely doctor-owned—businessmen and investors have no say in your health and safety. We have the premier clinical and surgical facility in Miami and South Florida. Key office features are:
• Covered parking, a large lobby, and a cafeteria
• Multiple receptions and examination rooms to maximize your privacy
• Award-winning clean, modern, and soothing décor
Our surgical facility is certified by the leading national entity for outpatient surgical facility accreditation, the American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgical Facilities, Inc. (AAAASF). Key surgical facility features are:
• Two calm and comfortable preoperative rooms
• Two world-class operating rooms
• A spacious and quiet recovery area
• A private patient bathroom
• A comfortable waiting area for your family
• A one-of-a-kind private elevator
These features ensure your comfort, safety, privacy, and discretion.
Dr. Ghersi is known for his natural and beautiful facelift results and his caring personality. He is fully dedicated to helping you reach all of your goals and look your best. He is Board-Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, the leading plastic surgeon accrediting body in the United States. He also currently holds active medical licenses in Florida and New York.
Dr. Ghersi has performed hundreds of customized facelift procedures. He has countless positive patient testimonials and a large collection of before and after photos online and at his office. As you will notice, each patient’s results are different, which is why customized procedures are so great. At your initial consultation, Dr. Ghersi will carefully select photos of patients who have anatomy and skin similar to yours. He will explain in great detail how your results will be similar and different than the ones in the pictures. There is no other surgeon who spends as much time with patients and cares as much about their results. You will find yourself more at ease with the idea of surgery and excited about seeing your results.
The most common facelift procedures are:
• A Traditional Facelift. The ideal procedure for moderate to severe sagging skin and wrinkling in the mid and lower face/neck. Incisions are carefully made near the temples and around the front of the ear. Deep tissues are carefully repositioned and gently tightened, excess skin is removed, creases are smoothed, and fat is redistributed. Results are midface, lower face, and neck cosmetic rejuvenation.
• A mid-face lift. The ideal procedure for sagging skin around the cheeks, nose, eyes, and corners of the mouth. Incisions are carefully made in the lower lash line or nasolabial folds. In some cases, a mid-face lift can be performed endoscopically—tiny incisions are made along the temples. Results are corrected bags under the eyes, hollowness in the upper cheeks, and prominent nasal folds.
• Mini Facelift. The ideal procedure for mild to moderate jowls and sagging skin. Less invasive techniques and tiny incisions allow the surgeon to gently tighten deep tissues and skin. Results are corrected jowling, a refined jawline, and cosmetic rejuvenation. In many cases, a mini facelift postpones the need for a more invasive mid-face lift or a traditional facelift.
In all of Dr. Ghersi’s facelift procedures, surgical scars are completely unnoticeable because incisions are made along natural creases and skin folds and carefully hidden within the hairline.
What is a revision facelift?
Dr. Ghersi performs revision facelifts for patients who received poor results from another plastic surgeon and patients who had their primary facelift many years ago and want improvements. Regardless of the patient’s reason for seeking another procedure, it is possible to achieve their goals. The facelift revision does not need to be identical to the original—it can be designed to meet the patient’s current aesthetic goals.
Dr. Ghersi understands that a revision facelift is often more challenging than a primary facelift. He is an expert at resolving complex facial surgical problems and re-establishing a natural yet youthful look in patients who had a prior procedure.
How do I know which procedure is right for me?
During your initial consultation, Dr. Ghersi listens closely as you explain all of your cosmetic concerns, desires, and goals. He performs a complete examination of your face and neck, paying close attention to your anatomy, skin quality, and skin quantity. Together, you come up with a customized surgery that meets all of your needs. A patient-focused and result-oriented surgeon like Dr. Ghersi is a rarity in modern plastic surgery.
Which procedures are best for sagging necklines?
A traditional facelift and mini-facelift treat sagging skin along the neckline. A neck lift is also a popular procedure option that may be performed on its own or combined with a facelift. During surgery:
- Sagging skin is removed
- Excess fat under the chin liposuctioned
- Lax muscles are tightened
The neck lift result is a more youthful and attractive neckline. When combined with a facelift, a neck lift helps provide a more attractive lower face and achieve comprehensive cosmetic rejuvenation.
How do I know if an add-on procedure will be included in my customized facelift?
If reaching your goals means combining your facelift with another cosmetic procedure, Dr. Ghersi chooses the perfect add-on procedure. Common add-on procedures are:
- Blepharoplasty (eyelid lift). May berecommended for droopy eyelids, permanent lines that surround the eyes, sparse eyelids, ill-defined eye shape, and bulging and bagging eyes. Excess skin, muscle, and fat on the upper eyelids, lower eyelids, or both are removed. The result is more youthful eyes, a more well-rested appearance, and possibly better vision.
- Forehead lift (brow lift). May be recommended for worry and frown lines on the forehead.Excess skin is removed and underlying muscles and tissues are repositioned. The result is skin improvement and a more youthful and approachable appearance.
- Fat injections. May berecommended for lost facial volume. Excess fat is moved to sunken areas of the face. The result is a smoother, rounder, and fuller face.
- Skin Resurfacing. May be r ecommended for sun damaged, weathered skin. A variety of treatments are available.
Some add-on procedures are done with your facelift and others are performed after you recover.
How do I prepare for my facelift procedure?
Tobacco use increases the risks for poor skin and tissue healing and infection. If you use tobacco, your surgeon encourages you to stop well before your surgery and during your recovery. Several weeks before surgery you will be instructed to:
- Take care of your skin and protect it from excess sun exposure.
- Avoid drugs that contain aspirin and herbal supplements to reduce bleeding.
You may be asked to shave a minimal amount of hair around your temples and ears the night before surgery. Patients who receive the best results are those who go into surgery with realistic goals and expectations and a positive mindset.
Is it hard to maintain results?
Once your healing process is complete, you can use a good skin care regimen and maintain a healthy lifestyle to easily maintain your results.
Are facelifts for men and women different?
Facelift surgery processes for men and women are essentially the same. Men and women may have different goals for the procedure, which is why the customization process is so important.
Why should I choose a facelift over nonsurgical options?
There are various nonsurgical creams and lasers that can reduce your fine lines and wrinkles and improve your skin texture. However, no nonsurgical treatment option can improve moderate to severe sagging skin like a facelift can. A facelift provides more dramatic results than nonsurgical treatment because excess skin is actually removed and tightened.
Do I need a consult before I can learn about the cost of surgery?
Average facelift costs can be extremely misleading because no facelift is the same.
Surgery costs that cannot be known unless you attend an initial consultation include:
- Facelift procedure type
- Add-on procedure(s)
- Anesthesia/sedation type
During your initial consultation, Dr. Ghersi explains every cost associated with your customized procedure and all of your financing options. Most patients find their wonderful facelift results are priceless because they look and feel better than ever.
- Three Things a Face Lift Specialist in Miami Cannot Do
- The New You – Learn More about your Procedure with Face Lift Doctors in Miami
- Getting Pretty – Can you Wear Makeup Right after a Face Lift?
- Get the Look you Want from a Board Certified Facelift Surgeon in Miami
- How Does a Face Lift Surgeon in Miami Make you Look Younger?
Can I have a facelift if I live out of town?
Dr. Ghersi is a world-renowned facelift surgeon who is accustomed to treating patients from all over the country and world. Dr. Ghersi and his staff are happy to help make trip arrangements for your initial facelift consultation. Or if you prefer, set up your initial consultation online through a video conferencing appointment.
If you decide to have surgery, Dr. Ghersi and his staff can help you and your family with travel, surgery, and recovery plans. Your patient coordinator can arrange for you to have a personal nurse if you wish. Out of town patients who come to Miami, FL on their own find this extremely helpful and comforting. International patients and foreign language speakers are pleased to know Dr. Ghersi speaks fluent Spanish, Italian, and French. Miami International Airport is easily reached from countries all over the world.
Why Choose Dr. Altman
- Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
- Board Certified by The American Board of Otolaryngology.
- Honors in Surgery and others, SUNY Stony Brook.
- Honor awarded for outstanding work in light diffraction, Dartmouth College.
- American Society of Maxillofacial Surgeons, Merck Scholarship Grant.